Friday, May 01, 2009

Second Guessing

I need your honest opinions.
Seriously. If you don't think it's a good idea for me to do it, then let me know. Please. I was going to write..."If you don't think I can do it, please let me know"...but I know I can do it. I just don't know if I should.

I'm talking about the Peterborough Half Ironman.

Here's my Logic:

  1. Race is coming, Training is not: Biked outside 2 times, 90 minutes on trainer once a week. Outside is so much harder. Swimming--haven't been in the pool since February, if we're being completely honest. A couple of reasons too. The big one is that it's the hardest place for me to breathe. As for running, I'm not even in peak running fitness.
  2. It's so expensive: Well maybe not expensive compared to ironman, but I get to go to school for an extra 2 months...and buy bus passes and stuff. And I can't work as much as I was planning on it. And I have to save money to get to lake placid (well gas for the car...lodging is already paid for). And it's $125.
  3. I don't know why I used numbers: because I only had two points. I am going to go to Kingston in June. For 3 weeks. 3 weeks of perfect training time. If I can get myself into reasonable shape, then I can spend my time doing long rides and long runs and long swims. It's the perfect area and place. I love it.

But I don't know. My reason behind doing the peterborough half was to have a little confidence going into lake placid to sign up. (BECAUSE I WILL SIGN UP!). Maybe I could do an olympic in August. Do some fake halfs in December. Then

And I'm thinking--I wouldn't have gone into my first half marathon just winging it. I trained hard. For months. And I don't feel like this is something I should wing. I have papers due. (One 10 pg), 4 more midterms, 8 labs, and then finals. Plus I work, and am running a run club out of the store. Yeah.

The other thing I could do is train like I'm going to do it, and then sign up a few weeks in advance if I feel ready. That's totally not commiting, but this way if I don't think I'm ready, then I can back out and not loose anything. I don't think there is a cap on the race, and you can register race weekend for an extra 15$.

In Other News:

Em's army is running their first half marathon next weekend. I have two girls that are going to rock it and bring it in under two hours and I have another two who are going to rock it in about 2:30. I'll be running with them, and enjoying the race. I will also be winging this race. I did a 16k on Monday, and I'm doing one today as well. I'll be able to finish...The girls will be making race reports for you to read after the race. Wait until you see the shirts we have for this year! I'm soo excited!

In More News:

"You have, at this very moment, everything you need to deal with whatever life decides to throw at you"--Brian Tracey.

Sorta what gets me through my days. Yep.

So let me know what you're thinking about the half iron. Honestly. And I don't care if you tell me what I dont want to hear. And I promise not to hate you for it if you do. Just so you know.

I'll catch up soon!

Tigerr

12 Comments:

At 7:58 AM , Blogger Marlene said...

Tough, tough, tough. As you know, I have zero experience in triathlon. I don't even know what the distances are!

I would definitely say DON'T do it if you are not prepared. You can't just "do" a half iron without being adequately trained... you don't want to get injured and ruin the rest of your season. AND you don't want to hate the whole thing ebcause it's too damn hard.

I like the idea of continuing with your training an signing up last minute if you're ready.

One thing I know is that you do have it in you...

 
At 8:09 AM , Blogger Wes said...

Marlene is right. You have 10 weeks to get ready. You CAN get ready in 10 weeks, but you would have to train consistently and not miss any workouts.

Your first half Ironman race is all about finishing, so that is what you should focus on. Speed is not important. Building the endurance is. I wouldn't train faster than an RPE of 5-7 ever, and that should help your breathing.

 
At 9:12 AM , Blogger Jess said...

I have no tri experience, so my input is probably invalid, but if you have 10 weeks and put in the quality training that the race deserves, then I think you should do it!

 
At 2:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

i think that if you want to do it you can do it- there is enough time-but it will take discipline and i thing you would really need to WANT to do it.

 
At 3:36 PM , Blogger Missy said...

I'm with Wes!

 
At 7:11 PM , Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

and i'll just echo what they've said too :) Good luck with your decision :)

 
At 8:19 PM , Blogger Marci said...

I don't have much to add here, but use your judgement, you will know whats best for you!

 
At 9:31 PM , Blogger Lindsay said...

i've never done a tri but what marlene and wes say sounds logical to me! good luck in figuring it out, try not to put too much pressure on yourself.

 
At 5:20 PM , Blogger Reluctant Runner said...

I also have never done an Ironman event, although just the name impresses the hell out of me.

For me, it's all about being really excited about the goal. If I'm really up for it, then that gets me out doing the training I need to do. If I'm feeling half-hearted, then I usually end up skipping workouts and feeling disappointed.

So, which are you? Really excited or kind of half-in? :-)

 
At 8:18 AM , Blogger Cliff said...

I think Gordo once said, "there is no rush to do an Ironman. It is not going anywhere."

 
At 7:03 PM , Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

Great to meet you tonight! Have a great race :D

 
At 4:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

When ever I surf on web I come to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]You have really contiributed very good info here addictedtoendorphins.blogspot.com. Frankly speaking we really do not pay attention towards our health. In plain english I must warn you that, you are not serious about your health. Recent Research presents that closely 60% of all U.S. adults are either obese or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these people, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

About me: I am blogger of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home