Sunday, July 13, 2008

My First Race at Age 20

So, I did something very unusual today in many ways.

  1. I didn't plan. I didn't plan my pace, how I was going to run, if I was going to 'negative split' it. I just ran.

  2. I didn't wear a watch, garmin or any other form of timing device. I ran by feel.

  3. I didn't carry water. I drank water and gatorade (a cup of each) at every aid station.

  4. I didn't do 10 and 1's. When I reached the aid stations, I grabbed gatorade and water and started to run again.

  5. Ate breakfast in the car. About an hour before the race started.

Everything had an interesting effect on my body. This brings us to the meat of the race report.


Nothing exciting. I had chicken fingers for dinner. Went to bed at 12:30. Got up again at 5. Couldn't find my race kit, or bib. Or running shoes. Fantastic. Found all my stuff, and got my race belt. Got together and met my ride at the Running Room. I ended up eating the cheerios that were in the race kit on the way there.

We found a place to park and walked to the start. Got our chips and mingled around with people from Port Credit (whom I totally miss), then lined up where I was supposed to. They had everyone divided into colored corals. I was in the last corral if you could believe it.We just got ready to go. I didn't even go to the washroom. (I would pay for this later.)

And we were OFF! Since I was in the last corral it took me about 4 minutes to cross the start line. The only thing along the course were kilometer markers--there was only one clock at 8km. It didn't really mean much to me either. Haha. And since I wore no watch, I have no splits. I paced myself by finding someone in the crowd with a good clip and tried to match it. It turns out that at 8km, I find out that it's the Area Manager of the Running Room, and we talked for a while. I was glad to have someone I knew on the course. We kept playing tag when there were about 5km to go. She said I should kill the last 3. So I tried. Then she caught up cause I got water. It was really quite amusing.

Kilometers 5-10 were done around the Leslie Spit. Apparently thats the worst part of the marathon course. There are no trees and no shade. Thank goodness today was cloudy and rainy. (perfect race weather) At about 6k, I had to go to the washroom. Despearately. I saw someone run out of the porta potty, so I ran in. It was fine. It took me about 30 seconds. Then kept going to find the person I was chasing.

The way back was pretty un-memorable. I just remember being really tired. But these Brian Tracey CD's I've been listening too say that if you visualize yourself feeling great, you will. And it actually worked for about 3km. And then I was ready for it to be over. And there were only 2k left. 12 minutes, give or take.

The way the course is laid out, you have to turn a corner, and then run about 100 meters to the finish line. Before you turn that corner, it's like a dead-zone. Theres no air. I got this sudden urge to puke. And there was no stopping it. I got rid of the one gel I took at 8km, and the 8 glasses of gatorade and water.

100 meters from the finish!!!! So much for the finish sprint! So much for finishing strong. THe spectators (many of them runners themselves) urged me to shake it off and just keep running. And I did. But the final 100 meters took everything I had.

Sue, who I was running with, finished about 30 seconds behind me. I also saw Melanie, the manager of the RR where I teach. I talked to Sue for awhile, and I told her what happened, and she suggested I got to the tent to get some water and make sure I wasn't too dehydrated. And I was dizzy and too tired to fight. So I went. And I found some friends too.

On the way back, I got changed, and we drove in the car. What an adventure. Haha. Many of my Running friends said they would cheering me on when I do the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon...and that they'd reserve me a spot at the med tent. We're batting 50% now. Oh boy.

And apparently I wasn't crazy about the 'dead zone'. Others said they'd experienced the same thing. I think I was the only one who puked though. Booo.

So yeah! Happy birthday to me. I guess I just needed something to blog about. And NO I didn't go out drinking last night.

Thanks for reading friends. The 2 pics I have to come!



At 12:02 PM , Blogger Arcane said...

At least you learned what not to do next time. Sorry to hear about the puking. At least you finished! Happy B-day!

At 1:24 PM , Blogger yumke said...

Happy birthday! I found the Gatorade on the course to be a bit strong. It's entirely possible you took in too much fluid since it wasn't too long a race. Look forward to following your marathon training (i'm doing Scotia full as well). I'm trying to run Leslie Spit once a week so by marathon day i'll be used to that part of the course.

At 4:12 PM , Blogger Melanie said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry to hear about the puking too! Yikes! feel better, and now you can go celebrate :)

At 6:18 PM , Blogger Marci said...

Happy Birthday. Sorry you had a rough race. I had a similar experience in Ottawa this year. You should be proud that you finished.

At 7:32 AM , Blogger Wes said...

Happy birthday, Tigrrr. Way to leave it all on the course ;-)

At 11:05 AM , Blogger robison52 said...

Great race report! Congrats on finishing another tough race. First time I've ever heard of a "dead zone" where you have a feeling of no air...maybe turning that corner zaps you out and then wanting to race hard to the finish was breathtaking in a bad way?

At 12:17 PM , Blogger Nitmos said...

Well happy b-day1 And what a way to celebrate by...puking!? Actually, nice accomplishment to lace 'em up and kick out a 10 miler. Well done!

At 6:19 PM , Blogger teacherwoman said...

Puking? oh bummer. happy birthday though!

At 5:43 AM , Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Happy Birthday Tiger....

Could have been a combination of many things....but you did it, you learned so many things and yet you took the challenge and WON!!

Way to go girlfriend...

At 10:22 AM , Blogger Marlene said...

Oh you poor thing! That is something I've always worried about. Congrats for finishing.

At 10:23 AM , Blogger Marlene said...

P.S. Happy Birthday!

At 6:40 AM , Blogger Michelle J said...

Happy Birthday Tiger!! I am amazed at your race! I couldn't do it, no way!!! I did manage to run 5 miles today though, close to 80 degrees!! UGH!!!

Thanks for your very nice comment on my blog, i apprecate that!!! I am going to put you on my blog links if thats OK!!!


At 7:45 PM , Blogger Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Happy belated birthday! Hey, good job just finishing the race. I know it didn't really go like you were thinking but you didn't quit! First race move on and learn from it!


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home