Sunday, June 08, 2008

Heat Of the Moment

Damn.

It's friggen hot out.

I apologize for my unfriendly language, but this is a real struggle for me.

I covered 21km in about 2.5hours on foot. I walked 5 of those kilometers and got lost atleast once. I stopped just after 10k to fill up my empty waterbottles, and again at the running room 4k later to get more water and sports beans. Thenn I got LOST! I was also drinking gatorade, eating sports beans and taking gels every fourty-five minutes. I was doing everything right. Still my poor legs didn't want to move. My body didn't want to move. It was cursing me every step of the way. Saying things like:



"You must be retarded running in 110 degree weather"

"I don't want to move. You can'ttt make me"


After it pulled the 'mean' card and the 'I'm 5 year's old and you can't tell me what to do' it tried compromising.


"Ok, Tiger, I think you're really hurting yourself. Now I know you wanted to cover 21k today. So, what if we change your run/walk breaks."


Fine. I stated emphatically to nobody in particular. I ran as much as I could, covering about 16 shadeless kilometers. I then pretty much called it quits and walked the 5k back to the store. It was so frustrating. I wanted to cry. BUT, I didn't because before overanalyzing it, I thought 'HEY, whatever Tiger, you're allowed to have a bad run.It's really hot and you're not used to this weather. So what if you have to walk back to the store, atleast you'll finish upright and standing with only minor signs of heat stroke.'

The heat snuck up on us. They were calling for rain all day, and to tell you, i was sooo excited! I love rain. Nice and cool. Love the sound and smell. But no. Not a cloud in the sky. Damn weather man.



Things I learned on the god awful run

  • I can run a half marathon in decent weather in the time I can run 16k in retardedly, ridiculously hot weather.

  • I need to always carry a puffer with me *SHOOT! I FORGOT IT TODAY!!*

  • Heat can pretty much boil water. Seriously. I thought that my grape gatorade and my water were near boiling point.
  • Heat makes it easier to down gels. It makes the texture more handle-able. haha
  • Pace is important. yeah. it's always about the pace
  • I need to acclimate to the heat. It kinda just snuck up on us.

OH AND GUESS WHAT??? LILY'S COMING TO TORONTO for a half marathon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

You should join her. we could make an event out of it:P

Hopefully the heat'll relax soonn.

10 Comments:

At 3:44 AM , Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Toronto Half Marathon September 28!! here we come!!

Take care out there in this crazy heat, or change up when you run, maybe earlier in the morning or evening....be careful though, and carry your Ventolin!PLEASE!

We will talk soon....Blogger Vickie and I are coming to T.O.

Woooo Hoooo

 
At 4:30 AM , Blogger Marci said...

You toughed it out, way to go!!

 
At 7:08 AM , Blogger Wes said...

Running in the heat sucks. I didn't realize it got so hot up there!! Be careful!!

 
At 7:28 AM , Blogger Marlene said...

This weekend was B-R-U-T-A-L.

BTW, I tagged you.
http://marleneontherun.blogspot.com/2008/06/lets-get-to-know-one-another.html

 
At 8:57 AM , Blogger Tanya said...

Hi Tiger-I like your blog, I've added it to my favorites list and will read it along with Bruce's and a few others! July isn't too hot for a half mary here, we're pretty close to the coast and the town where they're having the race is even closer so it will be cool. I ran it last year and it was foggy and cool which was perfect for me so I'm hoping for the same this year.
Regards
Tanya (aka snailrunner aka lastplacerunner!)

 
At 12:10 PM , Blogger Vickie said...

Yes, I am coming to Toronto Sept. 28! Here's a couple of tips for water/drinks: freeze all or part in this kind of weather. They will thaw fast enough. I can't tolerate warm or hot water, so I do it all the time for every run/ride in this weather. I have more water bottles in the freezer than ice. Don't worry about the pace in this kind of weather. The heat & humidity suck the life out of you, no doubt. It is much easier to run in cold weather than hot. I think your legs get sluggish in the heat/humidity. Go as early in the day as you can manage because even if the humidity is high, the temperature will be better. Anything after 8 am in this weather is almost too late.

 
At 5:14 PM , Blogger Reluctant Runner said...

Hey, Tiger. I skipped my run yesterday because of the heat (and my summer cold) ... so you are awesome in my books. BTW, I "tagged" you on my blog. Go take a look to see what's involved. I look forward to reading more in the future.

 
At 5:15 PM , Blogger Marcy said...

Dang girl I hear you!! This weather STINKS!! But look on the bright side, we WILL get relief at some point or another, right? ;-)

 
At 6:55 PM , Blogger teacherwoman said...

Be careful in that nasty heat! :)

 
At 1:28 AM , Blogger robison52 said...

I don't even try to run in the desert here in Las Vegas during the very hot summer months, all my runs are currently on the treadmill! Do you have access to a treadmill?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home