Thursday, May 29, 2008

Just Call Me Coach!

So guess who is teaching the next 1/2 marathon running clinic at the new Square One Running Room?
Your's truly!:)

I still believe that it was purely out of desperation and the fact that they don't have a leader for the clinic that was supposed to start today. It has been postponed two weeks which is absolutley perfect which means I can still do my full marathon and then do that half two weeks later. Or watch people cross the finish line. We'll play that one by ear I think.

Now I am excited and nervous at the same time.

Excited
  • I get to lead a clinic. I've really appreciated all of the leaders I have had in the past for my Running Clinics, so maybe I'll be able to leave a mark on them like they've left on me.
  • I get paid to run
  • I get to make the routes and help these people (successfully) complete the Toronto Half Marathon

Nervous

  • I'm 19. What if they look at me and say "hmph, what does she know about running?"
  • There may be people more experienced than me.
  • They'll probably be pretty close to double my age (as it has been in all of my running clinics so far). Infact, someone I ran with mentioned that he has socks older than me.
  • I'm still training for a full marathon, so I have to be super super careful to balance the training that I have to do and the clinic training. I mean I can still do all the running I want to do and just run slowly with the clinic. They like it when you run slow.

Mhm. And I met with my nutritionist on Tuesday. And she said that it is reasonable to lose 2lbs per week if I'm eating the right food and making the right choices. I had the most gianormous salad yesterday. It wasn't very good. By the end of the day I was dizzy cause I didn't have enough bread, so I had a sandwhich for dinner.

Training wise, I need to have a goal. The goal is to get myself to the start (and finish) of the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon. It has been suggested that I decrease my training to four runs a week and they should all vary in intensity. So Speed, Hills, tempo and Long run. This way the body doesn't get off With all I said I wanted to do, apparently overtraining is more of a risk than I thought. So, I'm going to do a few weeeks of just four runs a week and then if my body is adapting well, then I will run more than that or add in swimming, biking or weight training.

I'm good with that, I think. Those four runs need to be done come hell or high water because its what it's going to take to get me to my goal. So the plan: Hills today in the evening even though I am off. It's sooo hot today, and my Camelback isn't in tip top shape so my long run will wait til Saturday morning or Sunday. Come hell or high water. That's the way I'm thinking about my trianing now. Yeah.

Ok folks, that's that! Mom's still not home. Its been a week. So I don't know what to think anymore. I'm still gonna keep trying to get my runs in. I don't officially have to start training until June 6th, but I want to be up to 20 miles by the beginning of July.

Do One Thing A Day That Scares You!

(Coach) Tiger

11 Comments:

At 7:20 AM , Blogger Wes said...

Infact, someone I ran with mentioned that he has socks older than me.

ROFL!! Hey Coach!! Some tips for you :-) Be on time. Be prepared. Be helpful. Ask for help when you need it. Let the chips fall where they may!!

Where's the recovery run in that cycle? LOL! You should have a recovery run somewhere in there, and alternate hills, intervals, and tempo runs in and out as needed.

But what do I know? I'm not a coach :-D

 
At 6:56 PM , Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

awesome job on the coaching gig... don't burn yourself out though!!! and have fun! :)

 
At 1:53 AM , Blogger robison52 said...

Now you're a racer and a Coach!!! I find that you'll learn more about your craft by teaching than being a student. The world is your oyster (always wondered what THAT phrase mean't)

Being a cab driver I do something new every day that SCARES me...forget the commercial about joining the Marines for adventure, become a cab driver!

 
At 6:55 AM , Blogger Nitmos said...

Be confident. First, you have EXPERIENCE. Second, no one else stepped up to coach right? Third, there'll be resources for help all around you. Enjoy!

 
At 8:39 PM , Blogger Marci said...

You'll do fine. Just share your enthusiasm and passion you have for running and you'll be great!

 
At 6:32 AM , Blogger Jess said...

Good for you, Coach!

 
At 8:39 AM , Blogger Marlene said...

Congrats Coach! That's pretty exciting. You'll do a great job and I have no doubt you will leave your mark on your running group. Have fun!

Backing out of Scotia?! NO WAY! I just had to take 9 days off due to a softball injury (took a ball straight to the ankle and could not even walk). Thankfully I am back at it as of this weekend and my long run today was 14K. I'm pretty excited!!

 
At 10:00 AM , Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Good for you!!! I'm so excited for you.

You will be an awesome leader! I agree with Wes and Nitmos! You're going to be just fine....

I'm still thinkng about Toronto...I'm a pace leader for the half and T.O. is our target race.....mmmmayyybbbeeeee!

Have a GREAT training session Coach!

 
At 3:12 PM , Blogger P.O.M. said...

That's really cool. You'll do great.

 
At 4:31 AM , Blogger Bill Carter said...

Congrats on the coaching job and just reading your post and how enthusiastic you are, it is no surprise they chose you. It is not the experience that matters... it is the ability to make YOUR runners believe they can go the distance. I have no doubt you will do it quite nicely.

 
At 5:26 PM , Blogger teacherwoman said...

I think you will do great, Coach! Rock on!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home