Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Marathon Goals

So.

Since I'm a veryyy goal oriented person I have to write some goals for my upcoming marathon (HOLY CRAP that's the first time I've said 'upcoming marathon' and even though it's still about 3 months away and my training is seemingly going alright, I'm getting a little queezy at the thought of having to run for that long. I'm normal, right?)


I've seperated my training goals into 3 categories: Race Goals, Personal Goals and Training goals. Not necessarily in that order. Since I'm goal oriented, and goals are only meant to be met 50% of the time, I may be aiming a little high. I have also created a little action plan proving that I am capable of meeting these goals.

Personal Goals:

Weight Loss: Already going well. It's not happening as fast as I would like it to (I'd like to lose 2lbs a day as opposed to 2lbs a week but I'll take what I can get I guess). I haven't been eating any junk food, and the very little that I have eaten doesn't sit very well in my stomach. I think I am about 8 more weeks to my 20lb weight loss. (unless of course my body decides it can't afford to lose 20lbs.)

Action Plan: Keep doing what I am doing I guess. If I need junk food wait until after a long training run.

Bra Top: I want to be able to wear a bra top with out being ridiculously self concious. I don't have to worry about my muffin hanging over and looking silly or feeling like I look silly. I want to be able to make a 'go tiger go' bra top! Silly, I know, but it's a goal.

Action Plan: Along with the healthy eating, I will do ab workouts everyday. The abdominals are the only muscle that can be worked out everday.

Training Goals:
I have no action plan for these training goals, I just want to have a guideline of what I want to be doing every week, in order to meet my race goals and personal goals.

*Do the four important runs every week (tempo, speed, hills, long)
*Compliment my running with cross training. This cross training includes cycling and swimming (leisurely). It also include weights. I ideally would like to do weights 3x per week. A full body workout every other day. We will see how my body likes this idea though.
*Yoga once a week. So I dont get sore and stuff. It will probably make me a better runner.

Race Goals:

Most people say that you should run your first marathon to finish, not for time, but I don't know if I can do that. I'm too goal oriented. I need something to push towards.

So, I don't think my 3:40 time goal is going to be realistic. At all. So, I'm thinking that most people for their first marathon finish in 4:15-4:30 so I think that the goal is going to be 4:15. I'm going to make this my "I'd be happy with" goal. I know I am atleast capable of this and the race course is totally flat.

My ideal goal is going to be anywhere between 4:00 and 4:10. Those I had been training with acheived goals between these times so I think it'll be realistic.

Stretch Goal: Sub 4.

Ohmigosh everything is perfect goal: The original goal of 3:40.

So. That's that. These are my goals and now I'm accountable for training and weight loss. Thanks for being super blog buddies.
Ill catch up with you after my nap.

Tigrr<3

8 Comments:

At 12:17 PM , Blogger P.O.M. said...

Great goals, my dear!
I need to think about mine now. I swear one of my first marathon goals was to be able to wear just a sports bra. ha ha. I didn't feel confident enough to. I probably would now though.

 
At 12:21 PM , Blogger Vickie said...

I think that 4:15 is a very reasonable goal, provided you do the proper training and have the ability to run that kind of pace. John the Penguin Bingham says during the race that if your goal is, for example, 4 hours, you do not want to run the first half under 2 hours, but at or over, and that makes the second half easier because you won't be all used by by the halfway point. You can't bank time in a marathon. The only way this could be done is if you underestimated your ability for a certain pace, for example, you think you can only run 12 min. miles but in reality you can run 11:30. Does this make sense?

 
At 1:09 PM , Blogger Marlene said...

Great goals, Tiger. Like you, I could not settle on "to complete" as the goal for my first marathon. I'm doubting myself and my aggressive goal, but I'm just goign to run with it (hehe) and see what happens. Having Plan A, Plan B, etc. goals is a good idea.

RUN TIGER RUN!

 
At 3:34 PM , Blogger Marci said...

Great goal Tiger. Good luck with your training. If you relax, who knows what you may achieve. Have fun training! I wish I ran my first marathon at your age!

 
At 5:26 PM , Blogger Lily on the Road said...

You will exceed in whatever you do! I just know you will kick ass girlfriend!

Stay focused and believe your dream because it will become your reality!

 
At 6:09 PM , Blogger teacherwoman said...

Ummm.. you would like to lose 2lbs a day? is that even normal?!?!

Good luck with your training. I will be following you all the way!

 
At 1:53 AM , Blogger robison52 said...

You should still have a bare minimum goal of just finishing the marathon...the distance is great and anything can and could happen, if you can finish the marathon without stopping I'd consider it a great success!

 
At 1:13 PM , Blogger Nitmos said...

Good goals. I always took the "don't set a goal except to finish" thing for your first marathon as "don't be disappointed in anything except a DNF". If you can meet time goals also, GREAT! But don't make that the overriding focus. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home