Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Substitutions

Basic Cooking says that you can substitute 1 cup of butter for 1 cup of margerine.
Today, I decided to substitute swimming for Running.

As much as I love my hills, The one thing that I will not run in is a thunder storm. I hate thunder storms. I have run in hot, cold, snow, sleet, rain, hail but no I will not run in a thunder storm. So.

There was length swimming at the local Community Centre. The length was measured in meters and each length was 25 meters.

I swam 32 lengths. The worst 40 minutes of my life I must say. After the first four laps my poor poor arms. So I started to alternate between the front crawl and the breast stroke, and that was better.

It was pretty weird actually. I was not sure exactly what it would feel like. I didn't know what to expect. I felt like I was sweating. I had a really red face, and I am telling you that was a really good workout. Wow. I felt so aqward. Like, I didn't know how to breath, and like my form was so off. How is a stroke supposed to look. Should you lift your arms really high kind of like you're reaching for the sky or keep them like parallel to the water, or non of the above. And I sink. I cannot float for the life of me. Hahaha.

Hm. The one thing that I can say is that it will be my new challenge. Monday, Tuesday and Friday's they also have early morning length swims. At 6:30am. So, I can handle that. I have to do something in the morning anyways. This will be my cross-training Monday after my long run and Friday. It's supposed to be thundering and lightning again tomorrow morning, so I am making my way to the gym tomorrow morning, and doing hills on the dreadmill. It's going to be tougher than outside I think.

Oh well, I am up for another challenge

That's the latest on my adventure. 39 days til my race!

I'll be ready, you just wait!!

Tiger :o)

5 Comments:

At 8:26 AM , Blogger Joe said...

Good for you! Don't worry, it gets easier if you keep at it.

A good book for beginners as well as advanced swimmers is Ruben Guzman's Swimming Drill Book.

 
At 10:11 AM , Blogger Wes said...

Ummm. Tiger? You didn't run 10K the first time you ran, did you? Then don't swim 800 meters either your first time!

Swimming is a great cross training exercise for building aerobic fitness. I recommend the "Total Immersion" book for technique, and if you need drills, there are some good ones on the net at beginnertriathlete.com.

Now, do you have bike?

 
At 11:41 AM , Blogger AddictedToEndorphins said...

(I originally wanted to swim 1000)

That is my next investment!! Im going to GEARS to see how ridiculously priced their bikes are. If they are really expensive, I am going to buy one for $99.97 at the local walmart. Can't beat that right?

 
At 6:20 PM , Blogger yumke said...

Hi, nice blog and thanks for leaving a comment on mine. I did enjoy the mississauga half marathon (i assume you're racing one of them). It's a great race with challenging hills. I've done the two toronto halfs and the mississauga was a nice change. Hope you have fun training for it. I'm running the 8k high park and the 10K sporting life, then I launch into my marathon training...

 
At 10:23 AM , Blogger robison52 said...

Yup, I see a triathlete in the making!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home