Monday, March 05, 2007

Z.O.M.P.A.S

Z.O.M.P.A.S--Zig Zag over mountains, past anything stagnant.
We had a guest speaker come to our school today for literacy week. He was talking about literacy, but I took it in a different context.

That's what we have to do sometimes. Doesn't matter what other people say, or what we face, we just gotta go around them somehow.

Now, I just have a couple of quotes I like. I was looking for poems to bring to my Writer's Craft class, but I got distracted.

26.2 Ways You Know You Are A Runner
1. You know how many miles there are in a marathon.
2. Your weekly mileage is how much you run, not your commute to work.
3. You know how many miles you get out of a pair of running shoes.
4. You can convert Kilometers to Miles in your head.
5. You measure your running route in your car to get the exact mileage.
6. When someone tells you their age, you automatically know their Boston qualifying time.
7. You know Grandma's as the route from Two Harbors to Duluth, not the person.
8. You can drink, blow your nose and pee on the run.
9. The problem with the treadmill is there's no place to spit.
10. You have less than ten toenails and that's normal for you.
11. Body Glide is your friend.
12. Ibuprofen is affectionately known as "Vitamin I".
13. Navigating walkers, dogs and baby strollers annoys you because it interrupts your pace.
14. When you participate in an organized event, you know not to run in your race t-shirt.
15. You have a favorite energy gel and flavor.
16. The "Picasso" above your fireplace is last year's TCM poster.
17. You have pre and post race rituals.
18. The journal you keep is in miles and pace not feelings or thoughts.
19. When you look at the weather conditions, you calculate how many layers to wear.
20. The pride you feel after a good run is worth the pain it took to get there.
21. You have more t-shirts than you could possibly wear.
22. When you hear the word "bib", you think of race numbers not babies and Gerber food.
23. The "no carbohydrate diet" does not apply to you.
24. You know that Fartlek is not vulgar terminology.
25. A hill is an opportunity just waiting to be challenged.
26. You know the phrase "you're almost there" only applies when the finish line is in sight.
.2 Your vacation destination is determined by your race schedule.


A winner is someone who sets their goals, commits themselves to those goals and then pursues their goals with all the ability that is given to them. That requires someone who believes in themselves, who will make self sacrifices, work hard, and maintain the determination to perform at the best of their ability.

Why Do You Run?Because you're wondering if your grandchildren will too. Because its raining. Because you can, and others can't. Because its faster than walking. Because that shaky-leg-thing is all about nervous energy. Because you can't fly. Because you can fly. Because your personal best is just that, yours. Because the pain of a blister is nothing compared to the pain of stopping. Because you like the resistance the wind gives you.
Because you like the resistance you give the wind. Just Because.-NYC Marathon Ad

Some people don't have the guts for distance racing. The polite term for them is sprinters.
( I truly apologize if there are any sprinters that read this)

Training is very simple. It's like lifting weights or studying. The harder you work, the better you get. I ran a race faster every year I raced. If someone beat me, it was because they were training harder than me. I looked at what others were doing, saw what I could use and did a little more. I enjoyed going out on the track and putting in a workout that I hadn't done before, or that I thought no one else in the world was doing. The races took care of themselves-I got to where I looked forward to them because the pain didn't last as long.-George Young

If you run hard, there's the pain -- and you've got to work your way through the pain ... You know, lately it seems all you hear is 'Don't overdo it' and 'Don't push yourself.' Well, I think that's a lot of bull. If you push the human body, it will respond. -Bob Clarke, NHL Hall of Famer

Running isn't a sport... it’s a way of life.

In my mind, I am a Kenyan.


The Ten Commandments of Running
1. Train Hard
2. Make Sacrifices
3. Make Positive Choices
4. Seek Your Potential
5. Set High Goals
6. Relax Under Pressure
7. Attack Pain
8. Push the Pace
9. Work as a Team
10. Run to Win

To be number one, you have to train like your number two.
-Maurice Green

AND FINALLY....

Some people create with words, or with music, or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, "I've never seen anyone run like that before." It's more then just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better then anyone else. It's being creative

If you have the time, read them. They are true, and to me they are inspirational. Ihave some on a list printed out, and posted in m y locker. Do you have any favorite quotes? Anything I missed??

Gotta get back to homework folks,

Tiger

2 Comments:

At 1:45 AM , Blogger robison52 said...

This quote was handy for me last month: "There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people." ~ Bill Bowerman

 
At 8:41 AM , Blogger Joe said...

> 12. Ibuprofen is affectionately
> known as "Vitamin I".

LOL! Hehehehehehe.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home