Saturday, March 03, 2007

Spoken Too Soon

I think I spoke too soon.

I think that it is just a shin splint. I kept reading info after I made a post and there is info on something called an interior shin splint which affects the tibia. and its basically micro tearing in the muscle near that.

Why I think this:

- It hurts when I touch it, for about 5cm down
- It hurts when I wake up in the morning, goes away after I warm up

So, I still ran today. And I wiped out. TWICE. and i laughed very hard at myself. It was pretty funny except if I fall one more time I will break my arm in 2! I swear.

I will still go to docs to rule this out so I can sleep easier.

71 days. In exactly 10 weeks today, I will be having my pre race meal! how exciting:)

Finish Strong,
Tiger

1 Comments:

At 4:29 PM , Blogger Joe said...

I have struggled off and on with running injuries over the last two years that I have been running. Here are some things I have learned:
- Take every piece of advice you get from other people (including doctors and physiotherapists) with a grain of salt. They might be right but they are often wrong.
- Listen to your body. If it hurts, it's trying to tell you something. You should listen. It might mean stopping your run and walking the rest of the way. It might mean taking a day off. It might even mean taking a month off.
- Don't be in a hurry to have running success. You have your whole life to run. If you have to drop out of this race, there's always another one around the corner.
- Never underestimate the value of getting new shoes. Sometimes we are getting injured because our shoes are worn out.
- Realize that exercise is a triangle of cardio, strength and stretching. If you skip any one of those, you will eventually get injured.
- CROSSTRAIN! Instead of running 5 days a week like that magazine, book, coach or elite runner advises you to do, run 2 or 3 days a week and swim or cycle the other days. The general rule of thumb I use is that every mile of swimming I do is equivalent to 4 miles of running. It is HARD to injure yourself while swimming. It is EASY to injure yourself while running.
- Don't worry much about muscle pain AFTER a run. That's normal. But don't run hard again until your muscles are healed. DO worry about joint pain before, during or after a run!

I hope that helps.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home