Friday, September 12, 2008

Wow-Wee!

Just thought you should know that we are approximately 15 days out from the marathon.

Things that are going through my head include, but are not limited too:

Stairs: Why are there so many stairs at my school? How am I going to get around the day after? I have soo many classes that day too. Maybe I should invest in some sort of walking aid (like a stick or something.) And maybe a rolly-bag too. Or maybe I just won't bring any books. Just a computer. It's lighter than all those text books. For really reals.

Headphones: It's sooo difficult to find a pair of headphones that are light, and will stay in. I've been experimenting with different kinds of ear buds lately but, apparently ears sweat. Ear sweat + stuff in your ears=stuff in your ears falling out. And then theres all the ear wax and stuff...yeah.

Music: Gotta have a kickin' playlist just incase time get rough! Any suggestions? I'll put you guys on my playlist and re-name the song so your name is in it!

Outfit: Now this is where it gets tricky. Ideally I wanted to wear a bra top, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable enough to actually do it. 42.2km with people looking at my not so nice stomach. I'm sure that after awhile you stop trying to hold it in and the picture I can't imagine will be that nice either.

Not only is it what to wear, its what color to wear! I'll be co-ordinating colors with several other people. That's where it gets tough. I'd like to have my outfit by Sunday night.

Weather: Is it even going to be nice enough to run in a bra top? Geeze, that makes it even more complicated (especially with the whole color co-ordinating bit). I'm not too concerned about the actual weather. I can deal with heat and I can deal with cold and I can deal with in between. It'll be fantastic any way you slice it. Besides, weather is something I can't control, so why worry about it. It's a complete waste of energy.

Watch: Should I wear one? I guess I technically have a time goal, but I also don't have a watch charger. And I don't want to be a slave for my watch either. If I'm capable of a sub 4hr race (which I KNOW that I am) then I will do it with or without a watch. I could keep my eyes out for pace bunnies to gauge how I am doing (but I won't ever run with one again!)

Run Order: Member how I said I'm going to do a 5k for 8 different people and then the last 2.5k for myself. I know I'm doing one for my Grumpy, one for the people at work, one for my best friend, one for you guys, one for Danielle, one for someone whos moving away, One for my family, and one for Mr. Science teacher and one for my running group. It`ll help keep things fresh. I just need to know where I want to put them all. My running group (who always like to give me a hard time) said they`d like to be around the place where you hit the wall so that I`ll hear their voice telling me to stop). 32-37km are taken. tell me where I should put you guys.

Mantras: To pull me through the tough times. I got some good ones! What gets you through the rough times.

Nutrition: To carry a fuel belt or not to carry a fuel belt. That is the question. Waters stations every 2.5 km. Gels can be pinned to me and then easily ripped off. Water and gatorade at aid stations of just water. Should I drink at every aid station. The way I have my walk breaks planned is to run between aid stations and then walk through the station.

On the run photography: This one is an interesting one. Do I run with my camera. I will definately be taking picture beforehand. Do I take pictures on the run. If I know I`m going to come in under 4, then I won`t waste time but what if it`s not in the cards. Wouldn`t it be fun to stop and take pictures and enjoy the run...I think I will put new batteries in my camera and run with it.

Pre-race: What time should I go to bed at. How early is too early. When should my last meal be. What time should I wake up and when should we leave (keeping in mind traffic). Should I watch a movie the night before. If I get up and have breakfast at 4 am, will it still be working by the time the race starts at 730am.

Post Race: One thing I know about post race is that I don`t want to have any energy left. I want to have completely depleted every ounce of glycogen in my body. Then I will know that I couldn`t have done any better and have no reason to be upset with, or worry about my time. I already have a piggy back ride to the car, and I`ve warned relatives who will be there cheering me on that all they`re getting from me is a sweaty hug. Hopefully no medical tent, but we`re batting 50% here.

Bags: Do i check my bag or leave it with my mom. Given past experiences, I probably should check it since my mother is the hardest person in the world for me to find post race. What should I bring with me...

  • Clean everything. Bra, panties, most likely long pants and a long sleeved shirt (I`m cold blooded, remember).
  • Cookies...
  • Blanket
  • Deoderant and oxy clean so I don`t feel really gross
  • KLEENEX! (without fail my noes always runs at the end of races)

Any other suggestions...

I know guys, this sounds ridiculous, but I really only have about a week to get ready for this. The week before the marathon is soo freaking crazy you wouldn`t believe it. Let me just enlighten you.

Marathon Week:

  • Monday: Class til 6:30pm
  • Tuesday: Work until 10pm, class starts at 8:30
  • Wednesday: The Spirit of the Marathon Movie
  • Thursday: Go visit Mr. Science Teacher, Run clinic
  • Friday: Race Expo
  • Saturday: Work in the morning, Bloggy meet-up in the evening sometime (hopefully
  • Sunday: I`m a marathoner!

And I get to fit in 3 runs and family and homework time.

So really, Ì don`t think its ridiculous that I am thinking about all this right now. I don`t. I am a ridiculous person though. BUT YOU LOVEE ME!:)

I look forward to these next few weeks. They`re so exciting! I`m excited. Life is exciting.

Thanks for putting up with me folks!:)



9 Comments:

At 5:12 AM , Blogger Darren said...

Stairs. You will be REALLY cursing them after your marathon. :)

 
At 6:15 AM , Blogger Jess said...

The stairs will hurt, but you'll get by. Plus, you'll be so proud of yourself for finishing, you won't mind the residual pain.

 
At 6:35 AM , Blogger Gotta Run..... said...

Great questions. I am soooo going to email you some helpful stuff.

Taper time.

 
At 8:19 AM , Blogger Marlene said...

My music suggestion is the theme from Rocky; it's a little lame but it will give you s little bounce in your step no matter how tired you are!

As for mantras, in my last half I had that litrle ditty that Dory sings in Finding Nemo in my head: "Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming..." but of course it was Just Keep Running!

Or "Don't think, just run!"

Running with a camera drives me CRAZY but it would be awesome to have some photos along the way...


Good luck with the rest of your decisions/preparations. I need to make my own list... TWO WEEKS!!!

 
At 11:27 AM , Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Stairs...well you have to live with them.

Headphones, don't know, don't run with them,

Music, see above

Outfit, see what race day weather is like...

Weather, live with what we are going to be given, hopefully no snow!!

Watch, if you trained with a watche wear your watch...don't start mixing things up now...

run Order, you'd better be ahead of me...oh, I suppose you didn't mean that kind of order...

Mantras....you gottem, us em!!!

Nutrition: CARRY A FUEL BELT!! and yes, walk at every stations, drink, pour water over your head...and take your gels..

If you are going for time, don't take your camera, if you are running for "fun", then yes, by all means...me, since you asked, would not & didn't take my camera in Ottawa...I do however always have my camera with me for Half Marathons....

Pre race, whatever feels best at the moment...

post race...well, as long as there is someone to get you home and you don't have to go to school the next day!

Oh, I just read you have classs till 6:30 , bwahhhaaaaaa getting there on Monday!!! Just saying....and YES, WE ARE GOING TO MEET UP!!

 
At 8:43 AM , Blogger Nitmos said...

I can feel the excitement! Good luck! And avoid the stairs.

 
At 9:00 AM , Blogger Wes said...

Make sure you follow your nutrition plan! I would take water and sports drink after every aide station!! I like those ear pieces with the little loops over the ears. Thats comfy for me. Sorry can't help you with the music. Everyone has their own tastes, ya know?

Tiger is going to be a marathoner! Woot!!

 
At 11:57 AM , Blogger P.O.M. said...

Whoa nelly. YOu have A LOT on your mind.

Step 1: Deep breath

You'll just do fine. In regards to most of your quandries, just do exactly what you did in your training runs - same clothes, same diet, same fuel belt.

Go to bed early, but don't fret if you don't sleep well. Just lay there and relax as much as possible.

Camera? Extra weight? No thanks. Give it to your mom to take pics with.

Your bra top question hits close to home for me. I always WANT to wear just a bra top, but I don't want my tummy jiggling out there for all to see. I wear the longer ones now - they are perfect for me.

 
At 12:43 PM , Blogger Cliff said...

The saying 20 miles of hope, 6 miles of reality cannot be more true...:)

I will see u on race day....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home