Monday, September 08, 2008

When Life Leaves you With A Sour Taste In Your Mouth...

Forget about it and think about all things running.
(Things have been intense the last few days, but I am learning that worrying doesn't help!)
That is my new coping mechanism.
This running blog (should) be going back to being a running blog, atleast for the next 3 weeks. Do you know whats happening in three weeks yesterday? (Lily and Vickie can't answer)

I am going to be a marathoner.

And in three weeks today, I will be hobbling around like Im crippled. But I think it's going to be the best pain I've ever been in, because pain is going to equal accomplishment.
Do you know what else will have happened? I will have won the bet! Rick told me I wouldn't run a marathon, but I'm going to do it!!! And I'm going to buy the jacket and long sleeve shirt and socks and hat and and and...you just wait! I'll be all decked out and I'm totally wearing my medal to school too.

This weekend I completed a 28km run. Next weekend is going to be like 24km and then the week after is going to be 16-20km at Goal Race Pace.

Speaking of GRP, I don't have one. Well, actually I lied. Ideally, my GRP is 5:12/km and based on my tempo pace, I can do it. But i don't think I want to wear a garmin or worry about race pace and time and splits. I think I just want to have fun. You only get to run your first marathon once, right?

Based on the training I've done with my Garmin, I think I'm capable of a sub 4. But we all know how races are. You can wake up and have a crappy race or have a great race, no matter how much preparing you do.
That being said, this is my race strategy:

Run the first half at exactly 2hrs
Run the second half in like 1:55.
Thus, a sub 4hr finish.

But mentally, this is going to be hard. So what I have decided to do is to run 8 5k's. This means that at the beginning of everyone, I'll (hopefully) feel fresh and ready to go. I'll run a 5k for my RBF too. :) I don't really want to care about the time to be honest. I want to finish. I want to leave everything on the course. And I want to be happy just crossing the finish line...

I'm going to pin my gels to my shorts and rip them off when I need them. I'm also going to be buying my outfit soon. My bra top. I'm not sure if I'm ready to wear the bra top though...We'll see.

And...

I can't wait to Carbo-load. It's taper time now (ish, no more 3.5hr runs by myself) and I'm feeling ready to do this thing!

I'm now off to catch up.

TiGeR!

11 Comments:

At 5:43 PM , Blogger teacherwoman said...

You're right. In about 3 weeks you are going to be a marathoner! :)

 
At 6:52 PM , Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

it's getting close! enjoy the taper, rest up, and you'll do awesome. :) even though I'm can't run the 1/2, I will try to get down there to cheer you all on! I know about 8 ppl running it, so I'll see you at the finish line!

 
At 4:15 AM , Blogger Wes said...

You are going to be a marathoner!! Suuuweeet! There were some good articles on Active.com I think and Runner's World with good advice for running your first marathon. They will help you reach your goals.

 
At 6:23 AM , Blogger Jess said...

Glad you're so excited for the upcoming marathon! Good luck with the last few weeks of training!

 
At 6:40 AM , Blogger Tanya said...

Your first marathon! You're going to do great-enjoy the taper!

 
At 8:56 AM , Blogger Marlene said...

Isn't this insane??

I cna relate to a lot of what you said... I have a goal time, but I'm trying not to have one. I just want to finish and call myself a marathoner! I want to leave it all out there.

Enjoy your taper & carb-loading. We've earned this!

 
At 11:31 AM , Blogger Gotta Run..... said...

This is only the beginning of new things.

Enjoy every steps as you get closer to the 26.2 finish line. It is such an amazing feeling!

 
At 7:37 PM , Blogger P.O.M. said...

Yippy! You are ready - you can do it! The taper is the best part. Portland is oct 5. I think it's around the same time as yours, right??

 
At 9:46 AM , Blogger Kevin Westbrook said...

Hey, congrats on your training. I just came across your blog. You are about 2 months ahead of me. My first marathon is in December. I can't wait to have that feeling of running my first marathon. Good luck to you. I will be following your blog to see how you do!

 
At 11:14 AM , Blogger Joe said...

> I am going to be a marathoner.

Wow! I haven't read your blog for a while. Boy did I miss out! Good luck!

 
At 11:45 AM , Blogger Lily on the Road said...

YOU are SO READY!

and no I won't answer the question...LOL....see you soon!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home