Sunday, July 27, 2008

Committed--and on the sidelines...


"Life is full of setbacks, success is determined by how you handle the setbacks" --This is a picture of me after the last race I did...
We'll take a pic after the marathon to compare pics.

So, I signed up for my full marathon.
I finally did it.
I bit the bullet.
I pushed the fear of failure to the side and paid my $85.00 to run in the marathon in 2 months and one day.

And I have to take a week off.

My ITB was really bugging me on Wednesday, and I didn't run Thursday because of it. Then, I set out for 26km this morning and only managed 17km. Physically, I felt fantastic. I could run forever!!! But mechanically my body was telling me otherwise. My shins were killing me, it felt like my knees were cracking, and my ITB seized up.


Shit.

I was fully prepared to run the last 9, but the Running group I run with (read: coach) decided they were going to be the voice of reason and tell me that running is just plain stupid and that I should "listen to my body." So I took the walk of shame to the bus.


I was a little sad.

But I am making a choice to heal my body and still run a pretty damn good marathon.

And I just did a bit of goal coaching, so the dream of sub 4 is still there, but it might not be realistic right now.


This is my plan for the week:


*Get a massage

*Ride my bike

*Swimming

*Non-weight bearing strengthening.

*Keep a positive attitude and heal quickly.

* Buy a new pair of shoes (even though I have orthodics I think that the cushioning in the shoes still breaks down)


And when I can start running again, I was talking to someone who trained for there first marathon in 1.5 months because of injury, and was splitting his long runs up throughout the day (20km am, 14 km pm.). I know this defeats the purpose but maybe for a little while after I fix my pains, it might be beneficial to try.


I know I'll finish the race. Cause I paid for it, and I want to wear my shirt.


So now I'm going to soak in an empsom salts bath, and have breakie.

Catch up with you guys soon!


Tiger

11 Comments:

At 8:25 AM , Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

hmmm, i cut my 32k run short today cuz of my shins, I bought new shoes today too cuz of the pain. weird. Good job listening to your body though, even when you feel like you can keep going. You'll be back out there in no time. :)

 
At 9:15 AM , Blogger Wes said...

Congrats for signing up for your first marathon! I think its OK to split your runs up. Even the top marathoners do it. Truth is, I think you may just need to slow down. Training for the marathon should be done at 2-3 minutes slower than race pace. You can then leave it all on the course on race day! I hope your pains heal up quickly!!!

 
At 4:46 PM , Blogger Cliff said...

I haven't sign up for my marathon yet :)...

well...this weekend..my long run was 15 km...not good. I was dying on the run. I had a dry cough. I figure that relaly did it to my body.

Anyway.today instead of pushing for a long run..i just took it easy...nap!! ;)

 
At 5:41 PM , Blogger Marcy said...

Hang in there chica!! I've been dealing with this as well. I KNOW how frustrating and sad it is :-(

 
At 10:05 AM , Blogger robison52 said...

I can be pretty stubborn at times and would continue a run when my body tells me to slow down or stop, the next day my body would punish me for my foolishness. Yup, we must listen to our bodies or get overtrained, burned out, or worst...an injury.

 
At 2:59 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Congrats on taking the plunge with the full marathon. That sucks about the ITBS! Take my advice, get yourself a foam roller.

 
At 6:05 PM , Blogger teacherwoman said...

Glad to hear you signed up! That's awesome! Take care of your body! it's the only one you have and you have a lot of years of running ahead of yourself!

 
At 7:13 AM , Blogger Marlene said...

Take care of that ITB. Great pic!

 
At 3:47 AM , Blogger Lily on the Road said...

It all sounds good and we will be cheering you on at the finish line, oh, maybe not, which full are you doing????

Love the positive outlook, hey, where is Nitmos when you need him?? On Vacay....LOL...

 
At 3:35 PM , Blogger Marci said...

Congrats on signing up for the marathon. As for the IT band, invest in a foam roller and stretch, stretch stretch, ice, ice, ice. Good luck.

 
At 4:02 AM , Blogger Michelle said...

Hi, you are absolutely doing the right thing by "listening to your body"...this week off can only be a good thing my friend!!

I know running is so addicting and if you cannot run, all you do is think about running! I know thats what i do! You will be fine and do great in your marathon!!! I'm rooting for you!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home