Saturday, March 08, 2008

HTFU

So, I've been reading blogs lately and have come across the terms "HTFU" and "Hurt Box."
I borrowed these terms from 'Caught on the Run', but I have No Idea where he got them from.
I have decided that I, Tiger, Need to HTFU in more ways then one.

First Let Me Define these terms and then I will explain more.
HTFU--Harden The F*** Up
Hurtbox--going beyond the level of comfort. It sucks but it will make you a better person.

February has seen a certain 'slump.'
I feel like I was much stronger this time last February.
I've been sick, I've been injured, I've been completely stressed.
Even so, I have been out to the Running Room's clinic nights. I wish I was running 5 days a week. I know that Im in school. And I know that I am injured. (Something wrong with my MCL too. May as welll just mess up the PCL to get it over with. And my IT band is being stupid too).
But I still think that I need to HTFU.
I need to stop taking pain killers before I run, and just run through pain, instead of masking it. That iwll make me a better runner. I could also do Intervals and other stuff.
I wanted to run a 2:40 at ATB but there is no way that I am in 2:40 shape.
So Im going to run ATB just for fun. Hopefully sub 3 but goodness only knows.
I'm gonna kick it up a notch and HTFU and get into sub 2hr shape for the Mississauga Half. Then I'm going to start training right away for the full marathon that I want to run in September. I'll run a 10mile race to see what a logical time for the Scotia is and then....yeah.

On the life side, I need to HTFU more than I do on the running side. Seriously. My hurt box in life is so small. Anything that is uncomforatble I run away from. I need to go outside of my Hurt Box, and heal my heart. Make my heart stop hurting...The small size of my hurt box has caused me to avoid going places and walk out of psychology lectures because I didn't want to hear anything that they were talking about. It's controlling my life, and has been for what seems like a long time. I've been hurt alot. I've been tossed around and thrown out like I don't mean anything to anyone. I make everyone think that I am so strong, but honestly, I'm not strong. I'm just VERY good at Running. I'm not really sure where I am going with this. I just know that I can't keep living my life running away from things that hurt. Maybe Im asking you guys to make sure I'm accountable.Maybe I'm just recognizing it myself.

Um yeah. Thanks for reading I guess.

2 Comments:

At 12:03 PM , Blogger Wes said...

There's a video on YouTube. That's where HTFU came from and it has kind of been adopted by the triathlete community.

Hate to disagree with ya tiger, but running through the pain and/or masking it is just plain wrong. We are taught early to listen to our bodies. We override it when necessary. That's what makes us intelligent. Doing something stupid?!?! Well, that's just being stupid :-)

Life and running go so much better if you learn to be smarter, not try harder....

 
At 4:11 AM , Blogger Marit C-L said...

Hey there! Thanks for the comment on my blog. As one of the "original 6 Camp HTFU'ers" in South Carolina, all I can say is that it's a great term, meant to make us stronger, go faster, be tougher, be smarter, etc etc etc. Great video on You Tube, like Wes said. Seriousl, check it out. You will be forever changed.

Second - don't beat yourself up. I've been running for a long time, and if something doesen't feel right, then it's probably not. Running is very different from swim or bike - where your body will be more forgiving (because you're kept buoyant in the water, and the bike is holding your weight up). The pounding of the pavement is not all that great on your body. I recommend that you get your pain checked out by either your doctor or a great massage therapist. I've had to deal with hamstring and IT band issues, but with the help of a really great MT, it's slowly going away. Hang in there!

Train right and train smart. That's the best equation. Good luck and keep up the writing!

Check out "elizabeth fedofsky" if you want to find the original "hurt box" and "wizard". She and I have the same coach, and she was also a fellow Camp HTFU'er. I know Ryan (Caught on the Run) from Pensacola. We live in the same town, have done a few of the same races together. Great guy!

best of luck!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home