Saturday, May 05, 2007

Relaaaxxxxxxxxx? Hah

I will never get a massage again.

I don't know what I was expecting, but what I got was certainly not it. I was expecting a young fellow, about 27 or 28, atleast semi good looking, that wants to make you relax.

But now.

He was about 50 with a recieding hair line rubbing his grubby hands all over me. I said that hurt, and what does he do?! He put more pressure on it.

What I did find out, though is that my ITBand is very tight, and sore. So, guess where he focused?! Can you. Before I left he told me I should take a rolling pin and massage it out myself in the mean time. I might go to physio after the race, so they can show me some excersizes and all that other good jazz.

Icannot figure out how and why people can subject themselves to that kind of torture. My IT bandhas been sore ALL day, and now I am sitting here with vegetables that have never even been used. They have permantly become my ice pack (I did that on purpose by the way, I hate those vegetables.)

On another note, I went shopping today.

I picked up GU for the race, a bib holder, a permanent marker, Sports Beans in Blue Raspberry flavor, anti-blister socks and a pair of "Running Sunglasses."

I have also made a checklist for my "Bag"

1. Body Glide
2. Running Shoes
3. Adidas Supernova Cushion Shoes
4. Special made "Go Tiger, Go" shirt
5. Nike Running Skirt
6. New anti-blister Running socks
7. Sunglasses
8. Sunscreen
9. Chip, already pre-attatched to shoe
10. Bib, already on bib holder, ready for shirt
11. Fuel Belt filled only with water
12. 5 gels (Just for good measure)
13. Sports Beans
14. Ipod, fully charged, with race playlist
15. Garmin, fully charged with virtual partner set to run a 1:50 half marathon (Just because then if I fall a little behind I'm okay!)
16. Change of clothes
-Shirt
-shoes
-Socks
-deoderant
-pants
17. Extra hair tie
19. Hat
20. Bra top
21. Butterflies and adrenaline, and my mom

Okay, so theres my list.

Anything I missed?!

Before I go, Good luck to JOE who will be running his first half marathon tomorrow!

5 Comments:

At 3:50 PM , Blogger robison52 said...

Sounds like you had fun shopping!! I've never heard of a bib holder as I just pin the bib directly to my singlet! Nice preperation list too! You may wish to add a large trash bag, which can double as a poncho if it gets too cold or rains. My last two major races my Garmin had went kaput, very frustrating, I hope your Garmin works o.k.

 
At 12:29 PM , Blogger Wes said...

You can use a foam roller or a special tool called "The Stick" to roll out your IT band. IT band issues are like really big with runners, so if you are going to suffer from it, you need to learn to take good care of it.

You look like you are very well prepared, and having a list helps! I know this. Take it easy. Let the soreness heal, and you'll be ready.

And next time, shop around for a massage therapist! You are lucky you didn't get Buella!

 
At 2:07 PM , Blogger Doris said...

Ouch - If that was a sports massage you have my deepest sympathies - the guy who "did" me found pain where I never thought it was possible! Make sure you rest for a good 1-2days after!

IT bands are a "normal" tight thing for runners (as Wes says)... the foam roller is a great idea and helps with lots of other areas too, in fact I should get mine back out and have a roll!

Good luck with the race, looking forward to seeing how you got on! I am contemplating a half marathon later in the year - ek! Have a blast!

 
At 5:45 PM , Blogger Arcane said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I guess when you're looking for a therapist at the last moment, you tend to get the bottom of the heap. I use a foam roller too. They work wonders but they hurt like hell.

To answer your question, I'm thinking of doing the scotiabank marathon in toronto.

 
At 2:37 PM , Blogger Joe said...

> I will never get a massage again.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Believe me, massage works. Fire that therapist and get another one. Keep firing them until you find one that you like.

> Before I left he told me I
> should take a rolling pin
> and massage it out myself
> in the mean time.

You could also try The Stick or a foam roller.

> I might go to physio after
> the race

As with my RMT advise above, if you don't like the first PT, fire him or her and get a new one.

> I have also made a checklist
> for my "Bag".
> Anything I missed?!

I didn't see "technical underwear" on that list. I'm not joking. Running Room sells it. It saves you from sweaty bum syndrome.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home