Sunday, May 20, 2007

HEY, YOU!

HEY!! YOU!! YES YOU!! I NEED YOUR HELP!! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT RESPONDING TO THE QUESTION IN THIS POST. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU JUST "LURK" OR I'VE SENT YOU HERE VIA FACEBOOK OR E-MAIL OR WORD OF MOUTH, I NEED YOUR HELP! AND ANYONE CAN COMMENT, EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE A BLOG, JUST USE "ANNONYMOUS...! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAASSSEEEE....Thanks:)

As you can see from my goals, I am contemplating running a Full marathon in 131 days.
I have been sharing this with several people;not only fellow bloggers, but fellow runners and friends. It seems as though everyone has a different opinion on whether or not I should be doing this... I need all (or most) of the opinions in one place.

Ultimately, the desision will be made by me (And I hope you will all still be here to read, whatever I decide), but I do need opinions. It's making me nervous.

Here are the arguments (Feel free to add your own)

YES TIGER, YOU SHOULD DO THE RACE BECAUSE ___________(FILL IN THE BLANKS)

Some answers have been:
You're young...

NO TIGER, YOU SHOULD NOT DO THE FULL MARATHON BECAUSE__________(FILL IN THE BLANKS...)

Some answers have been:
It's not the distance, its the journey to the distance...

Like I said, I want to enjoy it. Maybe I can do what Salty said and shave 30 minutes off my half time (is that possible by fall?)

Now click the, leave a comment button...
Thanks you , your help is soo very very appreciated...

Tiger

7 Comments:

At 1:01 AM , Blogger robison52 said...

Yup, you're young, you've already ran a half marathon and no what kind of training is involved, you know this is your first marathon and you're running it as a learning experience with no goals except to have fun. Like the NIKE commercial, JUST DO IT!

 
At 6:03 AM , Blogger Wes said...

because you love to run, and you can :-) What more motivation do you need?

 
At 12:22 PM , Blogger Arcane said...

Do whatever you want to do! Marathon training is a big committment so make sure it's something that YOU want to do.

 
At 9:18 AM , Blogger Joe said...

What's the rush? You're only 18, right? Try "mastering" the half first. Then move on to the full.

 
At 9:36 AM , Blogger The Salty One said...

You know my feelings! But I just want to reiterate that it depends on the experience you want. Can you shuffle along and finish a marathon--yes, right now you could enter a marathon and finish running, shuffling, walking for 26.2 miles. Can you run a good time, making a legitimate BQ attempt, in a marathon finishing strong and amazing yourself in the process--yes, but in a year or so.

Decide based on which of these experiences you'd like to have. You know which one I prefer!

Can you take 30 minutes of your half time by fall--maybe. I would say it's more likely by next year. I think if you take a year to build a solid base of miles you definitely can do it.

 
At 5:38 PM , Blogger Nat said...

You know Tiger I absolutely think you can do it but why rush it? I guess my question is do you want to just finish or do you want to do well? If you just want to finish then go ahead and do it. With your 2 hour half marathon finish I think you should work on gettting that faster because your marathon will be faster. There is a huge difference between running for 2 hours and between running for more than 4 hours. I say run a couple of halfs. Fine tune it--see if you can get your time faster. When you run a marathon you will feel stronger if the half distance feels easy. I hope that doesn't sound discouraging because I do encourage you to do a full but I encourage you first to get more experience under your feet :)

 
At 7:14 PM , Blogger Robert said...

I've never run one, but I'm sure you're in shape to easily walk/run one. Knowing that, the goal is attainable. I would be tempted to set the full marathon as a goal, but have a back-up plan or two. To me, walking a marathon would be kind of like walking for hours and hours knowing I can do it, and the satisfaction would be minimal. Why don't you set a satisfying time goal and train for that? If the date approaches and your training is obviously behind too far to make a satisfying attempt, you can modify your goal (work on a speedy half for instance). By setting a goal, you will have a clear understanding of what kind of training you want to do. By setting a date (especially one so close) you are increasing the chance for injury, so be careful.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home