Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Every New Beginning Comes from Some Other Beginning's End...

So, I bet you were all very anxious to hear what my desision was. Thank you to everyone for thier input, it was very much appreciated.

I did a lot of thinking and soul searching, and a lot of talking to different people, and my desisions are made. I don't want you to think that this wasn't my decision, because it is. It's what I think is the smartest thing to do.

As many of you know, I went from having no base, and running less than 20km per weeek to running anywhere between 30 and 55km per week, after taking the entire month of December off. So, January I basically went from 0-half marathon in 4 months. So, I have no base.

Thinking about a marathon, it is 42.2km. I have been told that I am looking at about...5+hours. Thats a lot different that running 2hours, and even then, I "Bonked." I have to have time to practice with nutrition and hydration. And Salty pointed out something very important to me...Do I want to run a good race and enjoy it, or shuffle along in pain and finish?

Part of me, wants to do it in spite of everyone that says "Hey you silly girl you will never do it" and the other part wants to do a good race. Reality is, if I were to sign up for a marathon tomorrow, I could run, walk and shuffle my way through the race. But I want to amaze myself. Also, I am only 18. I'll run a marathon by the time I'm 20. There really is no rush I guess.

For the next 3-5 weeks, I will work on building a strong base of about 60km/week. I will become "Emily The aerobic machine" and I will enjoy it. The running will consist of one long run, one tempo run, and 3-4 slow easy runs, at which time I will start to add quality workouts. (Speedwork and Hills)


I will run the Scotiabank Waterfront Half Marathon in September, just as a goal. I need to have the goal and structure. Someone that talked to my clinic mentioned a short term and a long term goal.

In September, I will train for the Disney Marathon, but I will not run it. Again I will be working on my base and speed and stuff. And I want to be doing it with all the people from my clinics, the rest of the core 7 and everyone I've trained with. It's such a great and supportive environment. I miss the clinic.

Starting in January I will train for the Mississauga Half Marathon again. This time though, I will train for a PR. I'm talking a HUGE PR!! Like 20-30 minutes. With my big base and "marathon" training, it seems like a challenging but attainable goal.

After that, I will then begin training for the Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon. Then, I can aim for a 3:40 or faster marathon. I could debut with a BQ!!! I would be 20! I am also considering the Chilly Half Marathon and Around the Bay in February and March. (The shirts for around the bay are soo cute:))

So, at first, asking all these opinions and the reactions I got were so discouraging. I was contemplating not listening to anyone and Just going for it. I think a 5+hour marathon would be just as discouraging.

That's what I'm doing. I'm going to have fun doing it. I'm excited because the goals don't seem so daunting. They seem obtainable. I think I will have fun!~ I now have to make a spreadsheet with a structure. I've said it before, I need a goal and a structured plan.

Oh, and since I figured out my goals and went to the Running Room...and I spent a lot of money! But I got 3 technical shirts and 2 pairs of uber cute shorts. I'm really excited about this! What do you guys think? Good plan?

Join me as I start this new beginning! Thanks for all the support guys! I won't let you down!

Tiger

4 Comments:

At 9:18 PM , Blogger Wes said...

A couch potato could run the Disney Marathon in January with a little training :-) Based on your half mary time, I don't see you doing five hours, but that's just me. You are so right about where you are. You have a lifetime ahead of you. Enjoy the journey. The results will fall into place.

Oh, and I wouldn't call your half mary a "Bonk" either. You are being too hard on yourself.

 
At 5:30 AM , Blogger The Salty One said...

That sounds like a wonderful plan! You really thought about all the possibilities and weighed the plusses and minuses. This plan really is the best of both worlds--short term and long term. I am excited for you!!!

 
At 11:30 AM , Blogger robison52 said...

As usual you thought out your plans and goals thorougly before coming to a conclusion...well done!

Randy just posted a comment of my own base training at about.com where he reminds me that I shouldn't neglect fartleks and tempo runs during my base period. His example of not doing speed work during last year's base cycle was educational!

I agree with the other poster, you're being too hard on yourself as I didn't really think of your last half mary as bonking, but a strong hard run...I would guess your first mary would be around 4:20-4:30, nothing near 5+ hours!

You're so lucky to have a clinic where you can run with others...I'm still the Lone Ranger and envy your supportive environment!!

 
At 11:48 PM , Blogger Joe said...

That's a sensible decision. Running is a journey, not a destination.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home