Thursday, October 02, 2008

Gratitude

Apparently the look on my face broke my best friends hearts.


This post deserves to be seperate from the other one that I will write today.





Whoever said that being a long distance runner was a lonely sport, didn't have any friends. Or a support system. And probably didn't like him or herself very much.





A few hours after my marathon (roughly 5--the indent in my couch was starting to form and I had already had my nap) I sat down on my computer and was going to start analyzing. But then, I decided not too. After all, I had just finished a marathon. I remember many times over the course of the run that I remembered the people in my life. Everyone that had told me that I could do it, everyone that said I didn't need to be nervous, everyone that reminded me that bad runs happen to everyone. The people who pushed me to sign up, the people that listened to me ramble on about the running. I remembered them when things got tough.





A few things I realized over the course of this marathon:





I have the best job in the world! Again, this is a matter of perspective. You might think that you have the best job in the world and as long as you think it, then it is true.





I think if I had any other job, training would have been much much more difficult. Or well, working would have been more difficult. There were days I ran 28-34km before going to work. When I got there, I went to Shopper's so I could clean up, then had lunch, then worked.





I'm pretty sure, over the last four months, I've spent about 2 months talking about this race. These people are the ones who convinced me to sign up roughly a month before I wanted too. These people listened to me talk about this race. These fantastic people put up with my ridiculously high energy level in the 2 weeks before the race, where I was jumping around on pins and needles. These people were behind me 100%.





At some tough points during the race, I could feel their positive vibes. After the race, when I went to work on Tuesday, hobbling around, they wanted to hear about it.


I'm pretty sure that if it weren't for the goals that I worked through with these people, that I would have been incredibly upset about the fact that I didn't meet my time goal. But goals are only made to be met 50% of the time.





Their endless encouragement helped to keep me on the road to marathon, and I appreciate it more than I can put into words.





I'm pretty confident that nobody at work reads this, but I just thought that you guys should know that I have the best job in the world!!!!!





And not only do I work with the best people, I get to talk to the best people that come into the store. You should hear some of the wicked conversations I've had. I've met more than one ironman, I've met runners who've survived cancer, I've met so many wicked people, who gave me advice about my first marathon, what to expect, etc.





You, my Running Blogger Family





I don't know what else to say but YOU GUYS ROCK! Seriously. You've put up with my running rants, my non-running rants, listened to me make decisions and then change my mind, helped me make decisions on nutrition, hydration, given me advice about what to wear, what to eat, what I should do before the race, what I shouldn't do. Encouraged me, read about my pre-race nerves, and taper.





And I know that I can have an off day, I can come here and you guys will still read.





I might also add that your blogs help lift my spirits, keep me motivated and teach me new things everyday. You are all incredibly entertaining, and I can't help but smile knowing that several times a week, I get to read all about your triumphs and tribulations.





So thank you, my blog family. I was so glad to be able to meet some of you, and perhaps, when i graduate I'll travel further for races and meet more of you.

The medal around my neck is for everyone who helped me on this journey. I couldn't have done it without you.





Love and hugs!<3





Tigrrr

9 Comments:

At 8:16 AM , Blogger Marlene said...

I happen to think you look pretty FAB for having just run a marathon. YOU ROCK, GIRL!

And the feelings are all mutual. XO!

 
At 9:43 AM , Blogger Tanya said...

The picture? One word-BEAUTIFUL! Again, congratulations, and if I ever summon up the nerve to do a marathon, I'm going to expect all kinds of positive vibes from you, the marathoning Tiger!

 
At 10:05 AM , Blogger Cliff said...

well earned medal!!

 
At 10:06 AM , Blogger Wes said...

That medal around your neck is yours, Tiger!! You earned it!!! Seeing that smile and hearing your talk about it is more than enough for us!!

 
At 3:51 PM , Blogger Frayed Laces said...

It's so true...having a great support team makes it so much easier. Way to go!

 
At 5:31 PM , Blogger teacherwoman said...

You rock, girl! Man you just did a MARATHON! :)

Great post.

 
At 5:45 PM , Blogger Marci said...

Great post! Spoken from a true marathoner, you realized the true essence of the marathon. I love your picture, you can see the joy on your face! Thats what its all about.

 
At 7:21 AM , Blogger Nitmos said...

First marathon medal pictures are always awesome. There is always such a look of supreme joy. Well earned. Well deserved. Keep that picture and medal handy. Here's a moment in life of pure happiness. Congratulations!

 
At 10:18 AM , Blogger Jess said...

Great post-marathon pic! You look very satisfied!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home