Friday, April 04, 2008

Spring is in the air

You know it! It's that glorious time of year where the snow in Canada starts to melt.
We start to remember what is under that white stuff
The glorious sunshine starts to shine, and it's actually a little warm
The little buds on the trees start to form little flow...

ACHOO!

Excuse me! Let me continue.

The little buds on the tre..trah..ah..ah..ah CHOO

Not only is it the glorious time of year when the snow starts to melt and everything gets nice, but it's also....


ALLERGY SEASON!!!!!
Yeah. Now, I'm going to try and ooze as much positivity as humanly possible, but that might be difficult when I'm oozing other substances from my nose. (Sorry for the lovely mental picture that I just provided you all with...).
Let me just explain to you the extent of my allergies in the spring.
My first, sad attempt to start running begun in the spring...
It also ended just about as quickly as it started because walking down the street and breathing at the same time were not possible. (sort of like that cold I had last week). We just thought that it was asthma acting up, but someone suggest I go see an allergy doctor (don't know what their actually called), and so we went.
Turns out I was allergic to spring. Trees, grass, blossoms...
Fabulous.
So we went on this allergy medication for people with asthma called 'singulair'. (It now turns out that singulair may be linked to suicide....)
Last spring wasn't so bad. I mean, it was bad ,but it was better because I had improved my aerobic stamina and stuff, because of the running. I do, however, remember sucking back the ventolin twice a day.
I'm holding out hope that this spring will be better. Aside from the normal itchy, watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing, coughing, difficulty breathing, these suckers just suck the energy right out of me.
But I am still holding out hope that this will be a good training season. Infact, I'm actually thinking (or overthinking) about it right now.
Allow me to enlighten you.
Marathon: Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon
Date: September 28th, 2008
Time Goal: Something ridiculous, and virtually unobtainable. 3:40...Or I guess I'd be happy with sub 4hrs..or to finish.
Course Description: The flat and fast features of this event (includes the marathon, half and 5k) have consistently been the reason for so many people reaching a personal best, qualifying for Boston, having a memorable but good first marathon or an outstanding one. Even power walkers or slower runners love this course because of its 6 hour 30 minute time limit. (taken right from this website)
Training: the idea behind my training is...well...experimenting. I'm young, right? I have lots of time to figure this out. And over the summer, I will be working full time, and I think I'll be able to train much more consistantly than I was through school. This super program that I have created will be challenging, yet hopefully pay off dividends...
I will share my super tiger plan with you later. I should be studying and doing other more important things like studying for the 3 exams I have coming up!
Run strong

6 Comments:

At 6:50 PM , Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

...and all this time i thought i was allergic to work!!! maybe it's just an allergy to spring after all! i've got the stinkin' cold now ...

good luck in your exams! i'll be doing the 1/2 at Scotiabank...so i'll be cheering you on for finishing your full! :) take care.

btw, hope your feet heal quickly after the bleeding!!! you ARE a runner :)

 
At 6:00 AM , Blogger Wes said...

Good luck with your marathoning goal! Try not to permanently cripple yourself in the process, K? ;-) and I hope the allergies are kinder to you this year :-)

 
At 6:31 AM , Blogger Lily on the Road said...

Hope your tender tootsies are doing much better, look after those allergies!

I'm still coughing up gorp from Hamilton!

Follow your 10:1 program and you'll rock the marathon! I'll be following your training, but right now, get those exams out of the way (do I sound like your mother?) hahaha

 
At 9:27 AM , Blogger teacherwoman said...

Ah, allergy season. Blech. I already suffered from that last week!

 
At 9:37 AM , Blogger Marcy said...

Ooooohh thanks for the heads up on Singulair. My 4 y.o takes it *YIKES*

 
At 5:13 PM , Blogger P.O.M. said...

Im very interested in your super tiger plan. I just signed up for my 2nd marathon - this fall. I want to do something different than I did last year becuase I think I over trained and ended up with hip issues.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home