Wednesday, April 09, 2008

The Reality of it All

School sucks
Im glad its going to be over a week today.
Infact, as I write this, there is exactly 7 days, 6hrs, 6 minutes until I have finished my first year of University.
There is no time to be reflecting on that yet, but I just thought I'd let you know.
Oh, and parents are nosey. Seriously. You don't tell them who your talking to they look through your phone to see who it is and then question you persistently about said person, even though you're waiting to see if things work out before you tell them.

In other news,
The Mississauga Half Marathon that I will be running is in 33 days, 16hrs, 1 minute. (according to the countdown clock). I'm not necessarily nervous because I know the distance is one that I pretty much run every week. 21.1km is nothing now.
However, it has been awhile since I have had a good run.

Let's recap the runs I've had:

1) 30k in Hamilton, after formal. It sucked.
2) 15k with the Half marathon clinic because my group left without me. Treated it as a long tempo run, but it really wasn't good.
3) 30k ATB road race. We won't revisit, but it wasn't a good run.

Run number 4:

24km on the trail. It was beautiful and it was fun. We jumped in an impromptu stream (cause of the snow runoff) ran up mountains, and trudged through mud and quicksand. I even tried to pace myself, but still at like 24k I was ready to quit.

What do you think guys, is it a mental thing? Could it be a mental wall, that just makes my body want to shut down at a certain distance. I take gels every 45 minutes, maybe I should take them sooner? For the most part I've been sleeping okay, and I'm eating much better than I used to, and I would have better runs.
Even the weekly maintenance runs are mediocre. Maybe I'm just not cut out for this marathon bit.
I'm a little frustrated.

Why are parents ridiculous? and Why am I not good at this training?!
Argh

To make up for my grumpiness,
I found you a fantastic YouTube Video.
Watch it, And finish strong:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo-nbnw8zSI&feature=related

7 Comments:

At 2:38 PM , Blogger Lily on the Road said...

I'm not expert, but race day is the day to have fun with all your hard work. Also not the day to "instantly" refuel, this has to be done EveryDay!

it's a learning curve, cut yourself some slack, you're writing exams, and all the crapola that we allput up wiht...chillax...take a deep breath, you'll be okay!

 
At 3:46 PM , Blogger Marcy said...

First, GREAT PICS!! I loved them!

I agree with Lily, maybe chillax a little and things will go smoother? You've got a lot going on chica ;D ;D

 
At 4:00 PM , Blogger P.O.M. said...

There is no reason for the true rediculousness of parents! ha ha.

You are GREAT at this training thing. Some runs are better than others. It's just part of the deal :)

 
At 6:00 PM , Blogger Wes said...

We are nosey because we love our kids and want whats best for them... and we find it hard to let go... Take your time Tiger! You have a long long running career ahead of you.

 
At 3:33 AM , Blogger Mel-2nd Chances said...

thanks for the comments and wisdom on my last post!!! i guess it's just so far from "my reality" that I can't even imagine having that much fuel stored to maintain that pace for 2hrs... know what i mean!!!

thanks again, and hang in there... :D
Mel

 
At 5:00 AM , Blogger Marlene said...

Sorry that you seem to have hit a slump. Don't be so hard on yourself...just take a step back and give yourself a break. You'll be flying again in no time.

 
At 12:41 PM , Blogger lifestudent said...

I still have a few weeks left of my term and eagerly await its end. Must be nice to be on the 7 day countdown.
In addition, if your parents are nosy ... that means you have some fantastic opportunities to mess with their heads. Act peculiar, make strange phone calls, etc. One of the benefits of being an adult with parents (versus a child) is that the mind games get to start going both ways :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home